Re: 4.0 announcement

From: Thomas E. Dickey <dickey_at_clark.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 14:48:11 -0500 (EST)

> Easier said than done. Also keep in mind that I don't read my email every hour
> on the hour, so a lag of a day is always is possible.
when I'm developing, I check my mail every hour or two. (Either for work or
play, I'm online about 80 hours a week).

I'm receiving this an hour or so after you sent it.

> >my target was before christmas (you'd suggested the weekend before, if
> >you recall), but the weekend was bad (I usually flush out development
> >changes, which I did, then I had the flu or something as well for a few
> >days).
>
> I figured as much, which means I won;t be able to take a good lokk at it until
> the weekend (too much work :-(
I did what I could. My home machine is in the basement, which gets a little
cold in December. I could keep up with email (my wife has a 386 upstairs),
but did no development.

But I had the time, since I took off this week for other reasons (I've got
too much work also, but I can do some of it remotely).

> >> directory was big, and there was ncurses-4.0.tgz!!!!! I must have missed
> >> something here.
> >I did noticed that you emptied it last night (this is a day later),
> >but didn't get your email til right now (23 hours later?).
>
> That is correct! The only reason I noticed ncurses-4.0.tgz is that it caused me
> to exceed my quota! When I check my email from work the next day I saw a whole
> new flame war about the release of 4.
I'm always over quota (supposedly 5M). I've more than that in email.
(But I've not been billed for it - yet ;-)

It's not a new flame war, anyway - it's just another round in Eric's campaign.
(btw, I've not seen any polite email from Eric, so I'd rather not respond
to him).

> >> I'd rather that no formal announcement is made until I've had a chance to take
> >> a look which won't happne until this weekend. Netcom might be dropping emails
> >> so we have to confirm receipt before we move on.
> >I was holding on that -- packaging it & announcing to the list was all that
> >I intended.
>
> Unfortunately, people tend to run with such announcements and start distributing
> all over the world. If you remember earlier incidents with private betas created
> by Eric being posted to prep.
Eric denied it, as I recall (or at least the two incidents that I know of
this year...).

However, I did upload to sunsite shortly after I loaded to your incoming
directory. Barring minor tweaks to documentation, that's 4.0 as far as
I can see. I'm organizing my lists for 4.1 now.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
dickey_at_clark.net